Floppy drive issues with the finale Breezy

Dmitry Mityugov dmitry.mityugov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 04:06:35 UTC 2005

On 10/15/05, Joe Potter <jpotter1034 at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Can anyone offer even a hint at what has gone wrong with the floppy
> drives here?
>
> We have around 30 boxes of various kinds in our little school. The
> newest is 2 years old. Our use of floppies is not great, but we use
> floppies continually.
>
> We were following Breezy and all was well till about ten days before
> release when we discovered we could no longer use the floppy drives.
>
> We can use the one USB external floppy drive just fine. It acts like a
> flash drive in a way, just pop in the floppy and it appears on the desktop.
>
> I am working with known good floppy media. I am working with hardware
> that is known to be good. I have *not* changed /etc/fstab in any way. I
> have not taken anyone out of any group; nor added them to any except the
> plugdev group to be able to use the USB flash drives.
>
> Any ideas at all? If nothing else, tell me floppies work at your site
> and I work in a zone of weirdness.

Interesting, it seems I can't use floppies either. When I insert a
floppy and try to open its icon in Computer window, I get "Unable to
mount the selected volume" message and "given UDI is not a mountable
volume" in Show more details.

--
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"