canoscan lide 50

Sean Sieger sean.sieger at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 00:07:37 UTC 2005

Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> writes:

   On 10/15/05, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger at gmail.com> wrote:

       It so bugs me that I have never got my scanner
       working with 5.04 and now 5.10.

       Device Manager sees it but I get, 'no devices
       available' when I try to run xsane.

   Sadly, the reason is your scanner is not supported by the SANE project

   http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=canon&model=lide+50&bus=any

   I bought a Canon Lide 20 on eBay because I needed a small USB flatbed scanner
   and I knew it was "completely" supported, but it is very frustrating having
   such spotty support from Canon. I have some other Canon hardware and it's
   frustrating I can't use all of it reliably with linux.

   The reason is Canon does not release the hardware specifications to the
   public, so there are no proper opportunities for others to write supporting
   software. I gather the LiDE 20 and 30 are supported only because someone was
   able to infer the proper commands, and the other LiDE scanners use a different
   company's chip inside.

   I wrote a complaint to Canon but I don't have any hopes that their attitude
   will change anytime soon.

Thank you for your feedback, Tommy.