The Newbe has landed!

Avraham Hanadari rick at hanadari.net
Sat Oct 15 05:28:12 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 06:25:35PM +0200, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
>

>>Today I installed Ubuntu 5.1. The installation went very smoothly. I
>>was most pleasantly surprised, in fact.
>>

>To be a bit picky, it's Ubuntu 5.10 you installed, not 5.1 :-)

OK. I didn't realize that the ID number is a date.

>>I seem to have installed language support for several languages, and
>>that's fine, but I have not been able to discover where the language
>>keyboard buttons are. How do I get them to work?
>>

>What do you mean? What's a "language keyboard button"?
>
>You can configure your language at System->Administration->Language
>Selection and you can choose a keyboard layout at
>System->Preferences->Keyboard.

Done. I have configured  Hebrew, French, and German languages in
System->Administration->Language; and Hebrew, French, and German
keyboards in System->Preferences->Keyboard. But I have no access to
these keyboards in Ubuntu (GNU)

>>I also have not been able to mount the data partitions of my computer.
>>Please tell me how to do that in 5.1. I have seen them in "disks" and
>>enabled them, but I still cannot see them.
>>

>Check in Places->Computer. If they aren't there they aren't mounted, and
>you'll need to mount them (let us know if you need instructions to do
>that).

And here is where my problems have suddenly become gigantic. I went to
system->administration->disks and found all the lost partitions. I
changed their access points and enabled them, but only one became
accessible. Then I noticed that one was listed as "extended" instead of
FAT32 and just now, when I checked again, another was transformed to
"memory swap". I went back to XP and checked the status of my disk with
Partition Magic. One disk had indeed been transformed to "extended" and
my main disk showed no partitions at all, not even Linux ones. Instead
the entire disk formatting was "unidentifiable" with the designation BAD.

So far, inside XP, I have full functionality, but what has happened, and
how can I get my partitions back? All this has something to do with my
not being able to mount the partitions in Ubuntu I suspect.

Avraham