apt-get dist-upgrade to breezy: no firefox, no icons

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Oct 14 13:12:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:23:58PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 07:40:49AM -0400, 'Forum Post wrote:
> > Marius Gedminas Wrote:
> > > * Firefox won't start.
>
> Removing the profile directory, uninstalling all
> mozilla-* packages with extensions, making sure there are no running
> instances of firefox-bin, and then trying to run firefox with a clean
> state doesn't work either.  At most I get a profile dialog (if I ask for
> it) and two lines saying

> and then nothing.

Problem solved.  It had nothing to do with the Breezy upgrade.

I had enabled MergedFB in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (FWIW I have a Radeon
card).  After the reboot X came up, could not detect an external
monitor, and disabled MergedFB.  However the radeon driver still set its
pseudo-xinerama hints.  As a result, Metacity tried to open some windows
almost off-screen, and Firefox failed to open a window at all.

I changed my xorg.conf to not use MergedFB and Firefox now starts
normally.

Marius Gedminas
--
MCSE == Minesweeper Consultant / Solitaire Expert