ATI mobility X600

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Fri Oct 14 04:50:07 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 13.10.2005, 21:56 +0200 schrieb Systemansvarlig Vågå
skolene:
> Ok...maybe I was unclear with my problem.
>
> I don't have problems when it comes to the ATI driver that's shipped
> with Breezy. Everything is running smoothly. But there is no fun
> watching my laptop struggeling with all the nice screensavers ubuntu
> has. I would also like to get the most out of my computer, and mayby
> play some nice games on it. So the problem I have is:
>
> fglrx driver and 3D.
>
> The ATI card that's on my Dell Latitude D810 are supposed to be really
> good. It was also one of the things that made me choose this notebook.I
> understand now that I was wrong, well if I'm supposed to run Linux that
> is.
>
> Pan007

the release notes for the fglrx-driver included in breeezy list the x600
as supported. so you should get accellerated 3d.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9448/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.16.20.html#172394

here's what i would do if had buyed this notebook:
open a terminal and

'sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx'
'sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`'
'fglrxconfig'
'sudo gedit /etc/modules'
 here i would put in fglrx at the last line. save.
reboot.
open a terminal again and

'glxinfo'
if it says 'OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.' i would be
happy and play doom³. if it says 'Mesa ....' i would check what modules
are needed for PCIe and check that these modules are loaded BEFORE fglrx
gets loaded. i only have agp, so this could be the wrong way, but being
with ati for a few years now, that is the way if you use agp cards.

if something goes wrong and youre presented with only a console:
login with your username/pass, and
'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'
'sudo gdm start'
open evolution and report back ;)