Directory file limts

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 14:19:31 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 01:57:28PM +0200, Duncan Anderson wrote:
>

>> <snip>
>>
>>Well, the number of files on a file system is naturally determined by
>>the number of inodes on that file system. What I am wondering is
>>whether the number of files in a subdirectory is limited any further
>>than by the limits imposed by the dimensions of the file system itself.
>>

>To be a bit of a pain (and risk being killed by curiosity):
>
> Why do you ask?
>
>/M

No pain.

The reason I am asking is that I am looking after a hybrid Windows/Linux
environment and the backup program which runs on the Windows 2003 server
broke the other evening when it hit a directory containing more than
24000 files.

Since I am contemplating using that same backup program to backup the
linux mail server and also since I am considering changing the setup
from pop3 to imap (with respect to the way in which the users access
their email), I am concerned that there may be problems ahead.

Basically, I would like to know if I am going to run into problems over
the number of files in a directory. (The 24000 files in the directory I
mentioned are actually a type of email message)

cheers
Duncan