Ubuntu in the OSDL Desktop linux survey

Max Andersen max at militant.dk
Thu Oct 13 06:39:35 UTC 2005

Derek Broughton wrote:

>>Well, I don't use IE (what is it?!?, Internet Exploder?), but it works
>>

>Neither do I, usually.  However, I do web development, which means that -
>unlike the hosting company OSDL used - I test pages on multiple browsers.

Well, then checking the page to see if it's w3c compatible or konquerer
is lost, might be a small effort, for you.

>>fine in Firefox. Maybe the company behind it, doesn't support W3C
>>standards, or konquerer is broken. Have you investigated?
>>

>What?  I'm supposed to debug other people's badly designed web pages? Just
>because this is a Gnome-centric list is no reason that Linux distros should
>be ignoring one of the two major Linux browsers.  Frankly, if they don't
>support W3C standards, OSDL shouldn't be using them.

But why not help out and describe why there is a problem, if debugging
webpages is daily chore for you? Then it surely can't take more than a
few minutes, and that's cheap for a luxury linux-distribtion. If the
case is w3c standards are not met, then you're right about thinking
again before using their surveys.

Did you also report it to the Konquerer development team? Maybe that
would be a wise choice, also. They might think that they want to support
as many pages on the net as possible. It is, after all, a browser
designed for use on the internet. And the majority of the net still
consist of poorly designed webpages.

Sincerely
Max Andersen