Broken dependency in vim-python, was Re: gvim ??

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Oct 12 10:25:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 12:28:42PM +1000, David wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 05:24:38PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>snip>>>>
>> Ah, no, there is no package called gvim, but since you were right in
>> assuming that gvim is a GTK/GNOME-ified version of vim I thought...
>> well, anyway:
>>
>>  $ apt-cache search gvim
>>  vim-gnome - Vi IMproved - GNOME2 Version
>>  vim-gtk - Vi IMproved - GTK2 Version
>>  vimpart - embedded Vim text editor component for KDE
>>  netrik - text mode WWW browser with vi like keybindings
>>  vim-perl - Vi IMproved, with perl scripting support
>>  vim-python - Vi IMproved, with python scripting support
>
>#apt-get install vim-python
>
>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  vim-python: Depends: vim (= 1:6.3-046+1ubuntu7) but 1:6.3-046+1ubuntu7.1
>is to be installed
>E: Broken packages
>
>Darn.. .and here  I am just learning python :(
>I've got so used to apt behaving perfectly that this came as a bit of a
>shock. This is in Hoary btw.
>
>What to do about it?

Hmm, strange. I'm running Breezy since two days and I don't have any
other system to try it on. Judging from the info on packages.ubuntu.com
it might be that you have package index files that are slightly out of
synch. Try again later, if it persists it's a bug.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

If you let the system beat you long enough, eventually it'll get
tired.