Grub Error 17, how to repair?

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Wed Oct 12 04:32:06 UTC 2005

Hello Andreas

Andreas Schildbach wrote:

 > I can mount my partitions from the Live-CD. Here is the excerpt from
/boot/grub/menu.lst for my first partition:

 > # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
 > # linux installation on /dev/hda1.
 > title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386 (on /dev/hda1)
 > root            (hd0,0)
 > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
 > initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386
 > savedefault
 > boot
 >
 > How can I boot this? I tried using the Grub shell from the Live-CD,
"root (hd0,0)" just outputs "Error 21: Selected disk does not exist".
When booting the Live-CD and it enters Grub, this does not seem to be a
Grub shell, so I can only enter Kernel names + parameters (the above
kernel line), but not other commands.

- Boot with the live CD
- mount your root partition somewhere
- chroot to your root partition (e.g.: sudo chroot /mnt/your_mounted_root)
- run grub-install (see man page of grub-install)
- reboot and you should be fine

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li