Breezy iBook install fails to boot (kernel panic - unable to mount root)

Chris ubuntu at functionalfuture.com
Tue Oct 11 23:37:54 UTC 2005

After playing around with the Live CD I just tried installing the Breezy
preview on my iBook.  The install went fine but at reboot I get the old
"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)".

Unfortunately I can't actually see what is going wrong there.  My
yaboot.conf looks good and all the kernel images are there (default
install).  The only thing I can think of is that my root is XFS (problem?).

My partition layout looks like:
/dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map
/dev/hda2 Apple_Bootstrap yaboot 1954 @ 96730233 (977.0k) NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda3 Apple_HFS Untitled 96468025 @ 262208 ( 46.0G) HFS
/dev/hda4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Ubuntu 20478053 @ 96732187 (  9.8G) Linux native
/dev/hda5 Apple_Free Extra 262144 @ 64 (128.0M) Free space

yaboot.conf:
boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci at f4000000/ata-6 at d/disk at 0:
partition=4
root=/dev/hda4
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot