install ubuntu without CD-rom drive?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:19:29 UTC 2005

I want to install Ubuntu on a Toshiba Portege 3110ct. It has no
internal cd-rom drive, and it's not able to boot off a USB or parallel
CD. I know about sbm.bin, an image to make a floppy that allows
booting off of CD's even when the BIOS won't allow it, but that only
works for IDE drives (or at least, it doesn't work for me with this
computer and this USB cd-rom drive).

The computer has Windows 2000 on it now, and has extra room on the
hard drive. Can I copy the contents of the Ubuntu CD to it, and run
the install from the hard drive? I can't find any success stories
about that on Google. I think this is possible with Debian, so I'm
hoping it's kept in Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Matt