Request help for setting up ATI200M on Breezy

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 09:07:43 UTC 2005

Hi guys,

I'm probably buying a laptop (HP Pavilion zv6130) in the next few days
that uses the ATI 200M video chip. I know getting this thing to work
is tricky, so I'd like to know how to set it up before I begin my
Breezy install.

Can anyone point me to (or tell me) the specific things I need to do
to get X working with this chip?  Specifically:
- which packages to [not] install
- what modifications to make to my boot command
- what should [not] be in my xorg.conf file
- (anything else I'm missing)

Also, my main concerns for this laptop, at least until Breezy+1, are:
- 2D desktop performance that's not painfull (for regular apps, nothing fancy)
- the ability to output to the external video port when needed (for
presentations)
- the ability to use the screen's native resolution: 1280x800

Do you know if all 3 of these goals are currently achievable on Breezy?

Thanks very much,
Christian