Breezy, 2.6.12 kernel, and ATI 200M?

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:01:16 UTC 2005

On 10/9/05, Christian Convey <christian.convey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for the info. This is painful - I can get a nice, cheap laptop
> with this chip, but  it sounds like I have to pin my hopes on ATI's
> future software engineering efforts :(
>
> I'm thinking maybe I should suck it up and get something with an Intel
> 990 chip. From what I understand, 3D performance on the 990 is poor,
> but the driver is decent.
>
> Boy to I miss laptops with nVidia chips. Too bad I've sworn off
> Toshiba laptops - they seem to be the only mainstream manufacturer
> whose non-high-end laptops use nVidia chips :(
>
> Anyway, thanks for the help.
>
> - Christian

I'm not saying don't get it.  Just understand what you are getting
into.  There are people here who will help you get it going once you
have it.  But, GNOME or not....it's not going to "Just Work".

As long as you understand what you need to do, you can definitely get
it running.  In the long-run, I think you might be happier with it,
since support _WILL_ improve.

--andy