Thoughts/Questions After Successful Breezy Install on Mac Mini

Bill G inboxbillg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:18:55 UTC 2005

On 10/9/05, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> install the package msttcorefonts fron the multiverse repository.

Thanks!

> 4.by <http://4.by> the way there was recent blog entry on the OSX vs Linux
> subject:
> http://www.whiprush.org/2005/10/get_out_of_jail.html
>
> To directly quote from that blog:
> "If 'UNIX on the desktop' is your goal, then that's great. We've got
> work to do to get to the Just Works(tm) that OSX has. It's unfortunate
> that so many OSS people don't realize that the goal was never 'UNIX on
> the desktop', the goal is 'A Free desktop'."
>
> At the end of the day it all depends on your personal opinion and goals,
> and what you're looking for in an OS, and how you value freedom, open
> source, etc versus the type of desktop your needs demand; and for people
> on tight budget I'm sure the price of OS X versus the price of Ubuntu
> can make a difference as well. "

I saw that post. Here's my perspective: It's good that people have realized
the game is about the desktop, not "Unix on the desktop". The folks who'd
insist that fvwm and xterm were all anyone needed have gone silent. I
support the goals of OSS, but I'm not a developer. It's never been clear to
me how an individual user supports OSS by refusing to use proprietary
software he already owns. No one's freedom is enhanced by that kind of
pointless self-sacrifice. Whatever your opinions about the economic and
social systems that underpin them, a world with OSS, Apple and Microsoft
offers more choice than a world with only OSS ( or only Apple, or only
Microsoft).

After using Linux on x86 at home rather consistently for a long time (since
1995), I couldn't take the noise and heat generated by my last Intel box.
So, I bought a Mac Mini a few months ago. It's small, very quiet, and barely
warm to the touch. The hardware's not all that fast, but I don't do anything
that challenges it, so I don't notice anything. The thing sleeps most of the
time. I installed Ubuntu specifically to see if the desktop is,
subjectively, faster than OS X. I'll give it a thorough try, but if I'm not
happy, I won't feel any guilt about reinstalling OS X. (One thing I've seen
already is there appears to be no obvious way to put the Mini to sleep. This
is a single click on OS X.)

billg