DNS via ADSL modem/router doesn't play well with DHCP

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Oct 8 16:43:42 UTC 2005

Neil Woolford wrote:

> I have a Linksys ADSL2MUE modem, running into a WRT54G wireless/wired
> router.
>
> Currently the modem is set as DHCP server and gateway between local
> network and internet.  The modem picks up all the appropriate
> information from the ISP, including the two static DNS addresses.  It
> then sets up attached computers via DHCP with itself as DHCP server,
> gateway address *and* DNS server address.  (All 192.168.1.1).
>
> My laptop, running Windows 98SE, works flawlessly with this and has no
> trouble reaching the DNS via the local alias.  Winipcfg shows
> 192.168.1.1 as the DNS address.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't work under Ubuntu (Breezy preview, 5.10 at
> the moment but also previous versions).  Domain name queries to
> 192.168.1.1 just don't get answered.

I guarantee you that it _does_ work, just not for you :-(

Try:
telnet 192.168.1.1 53
(that's DNS).

If its reachable, then the rest of this is all wrong :-)

What's the IP of the WRT54G?

I'm betting you're on a different 192.168 subnet.  In my case, the WRT gets
its address from the modem, and I've left DHCP turned on on the WRT
specifically because the modem (a DirecWay satellite modem) _won't_ let me
change the subnet on the addresses it hands out.  However, that means that
I can't get into the modem configuration via 192.168.1.1 (even though
that's its internal address, it's not routeable through the WRT) and have
to address it from the internet end at 66.116.*.*
--
derek