Breezy upgrade and nVidia

Luis Murillo lmurillo at gmx.net
Fri Oct 7 23:18:04 UTC 2005

I also have this problem :(
What I did was uninstall those packages that you mentioned and
downloaded the latest drivers from the nVidia site
(http://www.nvidia.com) and installed them.

In order to do this you have to do the following:
1. Install the kernel headers that correspond to your currently
installed kernel
2. Install gcc-3.4. I don't know why the kernel is compiled with gcc-3.4
since Ubuntu has gcc-4.0, so you gotta install that
3. Press ctrl+alt+F1 and login using your username and password
4. Run the command: $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
5. Now to the install of the nVidia drivers you must specify that
gcc-3.4 gets used by executing the command as follows:

	$ CC=gcc-3.4 sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run

Once they have finished installing you must do the changes to the
xorg.conf file:
1. Use your favorite text editor, like vim, nano, etc
	$ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
2. Comment the line: Load "dri"
3. Switch every instance of nv with nvidia

Now restart gdm:
	$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Everything should be working now :)
The only drawback to this is that everytime you update the kernel you
must reinstall the nVidia drivers, if I'm wrong then someone please
correct me ;)

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Over the last 6 days I have upgraded my system to Breezy and kernel
> 2.6.12-9-K7 on dial-up. It has been a long but not painful business and
> all seems to have gone well except that my nVidia card no longer
> supports the 3D aspects that it did under Hoary and Warty.  I have
> re-installed the restricted modules, have installed nvidia-settings,
> have even tried t he legacy driver but still, no 3D.
> Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get this working again?
> Thank you for your efforts.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

- --
Luis Murillo
lmurillo at gmx.net
Cel: (506) 351-8251
Heredia, Costa Rica

GPG KeyID: D66B35FD
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D66B35FD