Creating new partition for user files

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:06:13 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 08:21 -0400, Steve wrote:
> > I've currently got Ubuntu installed on a single ext3 partition, but
> > now want to MOVE my "user" files to a new large ext3 partition. What
> > is the best way to do this? Do I need to label this new partition as
> > "/usr" or "/home" or which other path would it be? Basically I want
> > everything that currently resides in all my "/home/<users>" directory
> > to be on this new partition.
> > What changes do I need to make elsewhere (Grub menu, etc.)?
>

> You don't need to touch GRUB, you just need to tell Ubuntu where you
> want to mount your /home folder. In this case, you want to mount it on
> your new, large ext3 partition. Just edit your /etc/fstab, and add a
> line to mount /home to your new partition.
>
> Here are the relevant lines of my fstab:
>

> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hdb5       /               ext3    defaults,       0       1
> /dev/hdb6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
>
> The entire system ('/') is on  /dev/hdb5, except for my '/home'
> directory, which I have put on a separate partition, /dev/hdb6.
>
> Just replace /dev/hdb6 with the actual name of your big ext3 partition,
> save the file, copy your /home directory onto your new partition, reboot
> the machine, and that's all :-)
> Then you can delete your old /home directory of course, as the system
> will not use it anymore, and it's now just wasting space.
>

> HTH
>

> --
> Vince

One other question I just thought of... is there any possibility of
permissions get messed up after I copy the directories/files to the
new partition? I was planning just to copy everything using 2 file
manager windows, showing hidden files. Should I copy through a shell
using sudo, and are there any command options I should use?

Thanks again.

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org