No GART_IOMMU in 64 bit kernel?

ubuntu at agno.net ubuntu at agno.net
Wed Oct 5 15:05:57 UTC 2005

I'm just curious if maybe I'm doing something wrong.  If I try to boot
my machine with the default kernel in breezy, it complains about no
IOMMU because I have more than 4GB of RAM.  Actually, I have 4GB
exactly.  The error goes away if I boot into a kernel with
CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y.  Do I always need GART_IOMMU set for 4GB or more of
RAM, and if so, why isn't that in the default kernel config (since the
help for that config option says it doesn't hurt to have it in)?

Andrew.