shrinking backup files

Charles Malespin charles.malespin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 20:34:14 UTC 2005

> >  tar czvf /path/to/file tar-archive.tar.gz

Tried this:
sudo tar cjvf /home/malespin/backup/home.tar tar-archive.tar.bz2

and got:
tar: tar-archive.tar.bz2: Cannot stat: No such file or directory

for both of them.

> You may also want to avoid sticking everything in one big tarball. It
> takes a fair amount of processing time to compress / uncompress Gigs of
> data and there's also the risk that if the backup is dodgy, all the data
> is useless.

How do you split up the /etc and /home files to make smaller ones?  I am
willing to try anything, just need to get these files on a CD to have a
back up.