nfs timeout

Holiday eholiday at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 11:15:31 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Philip Axer <paxer at nyware.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> in my experience nfs (by udp) over long distance doesn't work very well. I
> decided to mount with -o tcp. This switches from lossy udp to the
> relieable

Wonderful! Thank you. That worked.

tcp. There are some not so good issues to, e.g. if the connection breaks
> down, the accessing process blocks (try to google).

This is where soft and intr come into play? I know there are problems there
but the consequences are not clear to me. I never do real work on a network
drive - I only had to lose a day's work once to learn that lesson. So? Not
sure. Am I putting the integrity of the drives at risk if I am only reading
and occasionally adding/deleting files.

Another hack is to tunnel your data through a vpn tunnel, which does
> basically
> the same. With the vpn thing I could establish a much better connection
> for a
> video stream over rtcp, which is based on udp.

That sounds like another project. Perhaps more fun than I want right now.

Philip