VMWare Tools and Ubuntu - Text mode login.

Vagmi Mudumbai vagmi.mudumbai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 12:13:33 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have a small newbie question.

I am running Ubuntu in my office as a VM. I need to install the VMWare
tools package on it. But VMWare tools needs to be run outside the 'X'
mode. How do I boot to a text only mode. My previous linux knowledge
tells me that i need to set the runlevel in the /etc/inittab file. I
tried setting the default runlevel's value to 3 and rebooting the
machine. But it still loaded X and started the GDM. How do I boot to
CUI mode?

Regards,
Vagmi
http://geekswithblogs.net/vagmi.mudumbai
http://installneo.blogspot.com

'Whats so civil about war anyway?' -- Guns n Roses