[breezy] Latest kernel update breaks virtual terms

P Jones deerfieldtech at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 00:58:14 UTC 2005

On 10/2/05, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> All of the Breezy kernels thus far are broken in this respect.  If I
> simply edit the grub menu.lst file, and remove all vga=xxx portions,
> and also remove the "splash" and the "quiet" keywords, then the Linux
> Virtual Terminals work again.  Bugged in Bugzilla, but it sounds like
> nobody plans to fix it.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> mlord

Hi;

I saw one of the bugzilla posts, although I'm not experiencing the
exact same thing. The last version of the kernel did not cause the
problem. Actually, I'm not sure if it is the kernel in the first
place, but that was the update that changed things for me. Now, mc's
interface is corrupted, but regular text like what one sees when
booting with the splash parameter removed is fine, even with vga=791.
I'm not sure this is a framebuffer thing since one of my machines uses
the i810 chip which I've read doesn't support framebuffer anyway.

So, I removed quiet and splash and vga= from my kernel parameters, same problem.

Which is the bugzilla bug that this is reported under, I'd like to follow it.

Thanks,

-P