OpenOffice won't print

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 2 14:38:59 UTC 2005

How do I get OpenOffice to print?  (I.e directly to the printer) All my
other applications will print fine.  Abiword prints fine, but at the
last update the system wanted to remove it (I don't understand why that
should be, it seems daft. Two word processors ought to be able to
coexist).

Given that Ubuntu is supposed to be 'for humans' it's surprising that
printing doesn't just work out of the box.  Unless I've missed
something, there seems to be no way of changing the OO default generic
printer from within the program, and /usr/bin/oopadmin just aborts when
I try to do anything with it.

Ubuntu 5.04

If I sound a little tetchy, it's because in my lifetime I've had more
problems with printers than any other aspect of computing.  I understood
the problems 25 years ago with, say, the old BBC Micro, but I had hoped
things had moved on.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber