grub

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:59:05 UTC 2005

> Wouldn't a warning message when using, be better instead of removing
> the application? Because now there is a problem and it is difficult to
> get the thing working again (especialy for former windows users like me
> ;) )

Actually, what would be the easiest solution is for Ubuntu to put other
operating systems like Windows, outside of the area that is edited when the
kernel is updated so it doesn't accidentally delete it like it did for you
and me. That way, as long as Ubuntu had the right kernel arguments in there,
you would never even need to edit the file. That's the easiest! :-)

But, I do actually agree with you. You can destroy your system with Synaptic
pretty easily too. Just remove libc and reboot if you don't believe me! ;-)
DON'T DO THIS!!

But, like you said, Synaptic would come back with a massive warning if you
tried to do that. At least I think people would notice that Synaptic would
be preparing to delete......nearly your entire installation.

Lucky i read this post because i had seen that in the menu and i
> couldn't find it back. Thought I'd messed up something.
>
> I did found the grub list, but since there is no root account you can't
> edit it so you need to use the terminal with commands i don't know so i
> have to read the forum to find a sollution. Ubuntu is ment to be easy
> for people formerly using windows. (and i must say most of the time it
> is and i realy like it) Those people don't use command lines they want
> to use the mouse and *click*
>
> The sollutions in this forum also often use the terminal with some
> commands. Maybe those sollutions should also be made more *clickable*
> for the newbys. probably harder for the linuxdiehards and much slower,
> but for the common people that is the way they want it because they
> don't know what sh ./ - a apt-get or what else is. With those
> sollutions I just type the thing from the forum and stay dumb because i
> don't know the commands. With *click* it is much easier to remember in
> wich menu you had to change things.

Did you manage to edit your menu.lst file or are you still trying to figure
out how to do that? I'm not sure based on your answer. If you're still
trying to do that, I'll explain it to you...and I'll explain what the
commands do. If you've already got it, I'll leave you alone.

-andy