Still fighting to get names to resolve in Ubuntu

Colin Murphy lists at spudulike.me.uk
Sun Oct 2 11:10:15 UTC 2005

I am still banging on about this problem I am having getting my internet
connection to work properly.  I think the problem is tied to resolving domain
names.

On my ADSL line I have an Addon ARM8100 router/modem.  Looking through the web
admin tool for the modem I cannot see any options to control or amend
nameserver entries.  Ubuntu looks to the router to resolve domain names.

This has not previously been a problem because, being a refugee from Suse, I
always had my nameservers 'hard coded' in resolv.conf.  This does not seem to
be an acceptible way of working in Ubuntu because resolv.conf keeps being
overwritten to point at the router, 192.168.1.1.

I seem to be able to get some sort of name resolution working if I tinker, for
instance, if I do :

 # dig www.google.co.uk

I get an answer back for the IP address.  If I then enter this ip address into
a browser it will show up the google page. If I then enter the name
'www.google.co.uk' into a browser, it will bring up the page, like it has
been cached somewhere.  Obviously links from the google page don't work

I have to get name resolution working for synaptic by using this same dig
workaround, not that I really understand why dig works and nothing else.

So, advice then please, as to how I should proceed in getting my system to
work properly.

I know I could write my own details in resolv.conf and then lock the file
write permissions, but this really seems to be a nasty kludge and am looking
for 'The Proper Way' (tm).

--
Colin at Spudulike.me.uk

A:Because it's wrong!