Upgrading Hoary to Breezy?

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 12:26:11 UTC 2005

On 27/11/05, Hakim Singhji <hzs202 at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have been using Hoary for a while and I finally have it running
> perfectly (with the exception of vpnc and sound in Firefox). I was
> wondering if I should upgrade to Breezy. I really don't want to deal
> with alot of configuring right before finals.
>
> So I guess this question is for any using an IBM Thinkpad. I wanted to
> know if there were alot of problems upgrading to Breezy? Hoary is
> running so well I am very skeptical (with the exception of vpncy and
> sound in Firefox... hint hint... anyone... :) ).

My suggestion is to hold off until after exams. If you know your way
around dpkg and apt-get enough to work around any potential conflicts
(I always have one or two), upgrading is an afternoon project -- a
couple of hours on a fast connection. If not, you're going to need a
working machine to ask questions on this list.

If you do go ahead anyway, follow the directions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyUpgradeNotes carefully -- for example,
make sure you have ubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-base in place before
starting -- and don't reboot until the process completes successfully
and ends without errors. Keep doing the apt-get dist-upgrade thing
after each dpkg --force-overwrite, or whatever, that you have to do.
When you're finished, do an apt-get install ubuntu-desktop, just to be
sure, and then reboot.

Good luck!

-Eamonn