When installing, after reboot installer crashes

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Nov 25 01:54:48 UTC 2005

An AMD 64, eh? That's pretty cutting edge. Unfortunately by what you
describe here, and as much as I would like to say I could help, I would
say you would have no choice but to pay for Canonical support. This
would be right up there alley, I would imagine.

However, I'll give it a shot:

* My take would be to try different things to see if they yield clues
to the cause. Even if I could boot a stable Ubuntu, even if, for
instance, all I could get were no X video or no sound, it would at
least be something.

* What if instead of Breezy, you try Hoary? Does Hoary work?

* Try removing non-essential hardware from your PC that you may have
and go with that, first. If you don't need a network card right now,
yank it and run the install. That sort of thing.

* Perhaps this is one of those rare PnP OS kinds of things. Sometimes
you can flip this on or off in the BIOS and try the install then.

* Try reducing your video power by disabling on-board video in BIOS and
installing a cheap, standard SuperVGA card, then testing with that.

* Try using a PS/2 style mouse or keyboard instead of USB. Might not be
the solution at all, I would bet, though.

* Try updating the BIOS on your motherboard.

* Try updating the BIOS on your HD controller card, if that's even
possible.

* It may just come down to either a bug in the Ubuntu OS (or the
installer) for this type of motherboard revision, or that you may in
fact have a hardware fault in your motherboard that perhaps the Windows
OS does not exploit but Linux does.

--
SuperMike