Internet via Modem for all Users

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Nov 24 21:45:39 UTC 2005

Matthias Ochs Wrote:
> Steve schrieb:

> > Are you using the Gnome Dialer for the users to click? If they are

> > trying to connect through network-admin, that does require root

> > rights.

> > I've never tried a multi-user system, so I am not too sure, but
> Gnome

> > Dialer works for me as single-user without prompting for root

> > password.

> Thank you for your suggestion, I am trying to use the Modem Applet for

> the menubar. I am not sure I know what the Gnome Dialer is... But I
> will

> study up on it ;-)

> Thanks,

> Matthias

Gnome-ppp provides an applet (or rather a taskbar notification) when
connected.  It is more of what you would expect a modem dialer to do
(i.e. not ask for your password)  I think the gnome-networking-tool
uses some gnome-ppp code.

I wonder if a feature-request or bug report should be made about this.
It is a real problem.  You should not have to install stuff from
universe to get you mother to be able to go on the net without typing
in her password.

--
azz