Totem/Kaffeine gstreamer will not play DVD but mplayer will. How to fix/remove?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 23 19:37:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:45:54 -0800
"Randall J. Parr" <RParr at TemporalArts.COM> wrote:

> 2) Is there a way to configure Totem and/or Kaffeine to use Xine?
> I tried to remove kaffeine-gstream but apt wanted to remove the entire
> kubuntu desktop
> (even though kaffeine-xine is installed).

For totem, install the totem-xine package.

If by "the whole Kubuntu desktop" you mean the kubuntu-desktop package, don't fret, it's a metapackage and can be safely removed.

apt-cache show kubuntu-desktop

 This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system
 .
 It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system packages are
 not desired.

It isn't necesary to remove gstreamer packages though - they should co-exist with xine packages. For instance I am using gstreamer as the engine for rhythmbox, but xine as the engine for totem and amarok.

In the case of amarok it's just a question of installing amarok-xine

apt-cache search amarok | grep xine
amarok-xine - xine engine for the amaroK audio player

Looks like the same deal for kaffeine:

$ apt-cache search kaffeine | grep xine
kaffeine-xine - xine engine for kaffeine media player

I imagine there's an option in the kaffeine preferences - haven't looked for it, as I never use kaffeine :)

Peter
--

Linux User #343161