Accessing the Tomcat Web app running on my Windows machine

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:15:16 UTC 2005

Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> Having said that, I can access the Web app by using the IP address
> instead of the hostname...
>

> On 11/23/05, Behrang Saeedzadeh <behrangsa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a Web app runing on my Windows machine named xpc-sn25p. From
>>the Windows machine itself, I can access it either via
>>http://localhost:8080/ or http://xpc-sn25p:8080/. However, from the
>>Ubuntu machine when I go to http://xpc-sn25p:8080/ I am redirected to
>>a Web site somewhere on the Internet.
>>
>>Does anybody know why this happens? How can I solve this?

Normally you hostname will be looked up in a local file, if its not
found then DNS is queried. In windows, its "C:/Windows/System/hosts", I
think. In Linux, its in /etc/hosts. So if you want to access your
Windows PC by using its hostname then add a line to your /etc/hosts
file. Like this, where 192.168.8.3 is the IP address of your Windows
machine:

   127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost
   192.168.8.3   xpc-sn25p

--
Regards,
  - Saru