Stuck in the installer..

David david at kenpro.com.au
Mon Nov 21 08:18:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 11:12:53AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a bit awkward as I managed to install Hoary without a glitch a
> couple of months ago.
>
> I'm now trying to install Breezy from CD and I'm stuck..  I get stuck
> where it goes to the partitioning thing and claims I didn't select a
> root partition, even though I see a partition with the 'lighting'
> character that's the active partition for the exisiting Hoary
> installation.  I thought I could just reformat that one, (while
> keeping the files in the home partition).

I've just upgraded to Breezy on a Dell Inspiron 4000, after putting it off
in case there were serious problems with Breezy. So far, no problems.

This is what *I* did, without any RTFM at all!   ;-)

* Boot with old Hoary install
* Insert newly burned Breezy install .iso CD
* Follow the prompts (Hoary recognised the CD as an upgrade)

There was one "gotcha": There is a little triangle with the word
"terminal" next to it during the upgrade process. You have to click the
triangle order to show this terminal.

Unknown to me there were some critical prompts on that (invisible)
terminal. I sort of figured this out when the upgrade stalled for about an
hour (!). Once I made the terminal visible and answered the prompts,
everything went like clockwork. I can imagine that causing some headaches.

BTW, I think most people could take the default answer to those prompts
and be pretty safe.

> Should I just wipe the partitions off and start again?  Or does the
> 'upgrade' typically work, and then how do I go about making sure
> Synaptic finds the CD.   Does anyone know where is a reliable guide to
> doing the upgrade, it didn't seem to be included on the CD.

I would try the above before wiping your system. Reinstall seems a bit
drastic.

David.