grub trouble

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 16:56:16 UTC 2005

On 11/20/05, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> When I installed 5.10 I unplugged the drive with windows on - now I
> can't get multi boot working again afterwards.
>
> I use GAG on a floppy which hands over to whichever boot partition I
> tell it. The problem is that regardless of which partition I choose on
> the Ubuntu disk - it comes up with a grub... but no action. It just sits
> there. I've tried using set-up to alter grub that it hasn't helped yet...
>
> Could the problem be that I've installed grub on the mbr which doesn't
> show up in GAGs menu?
>
> Ideas anyone?

I consistently have the problem that as new kernels are installed and grub
subsequently updated, I lose my windows partition as a grub option. I know
that Ubuntu team would rather I was not booting to windows, but it's really
irritating to have to manually add it.

This is the stanza I add to /etc/grub.conf to put windows back in as a boot
option; it sounds like your system is quite a bit different (i don't know
what GAG is), and since I'm using win98 this may require substantial
modification for your use (however i believe this works fine with xp as
well) at least you may have to change the hd#,# to whatever your correct
device is.

title Microsoft Windows 98 SE
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1