Stupid Newbie Disaster

John W Redelfs jredelfs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 01:44:10 UTC 2005

On 11/18/05, Chris Woods <chris at bitspace.org> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I understand your frustration and sympathize 100%. I've been using linux
> as my main desktop OS since 1993, and every time I'm forced to use
> Windows, I end up equally as agitated. I'm stuck in Windows for now, in
> fact... hardware that Ubuntu doesn't see, I think, haven't tried sorting
> it yet, but my patience grows thin by the hour. I must say I think
> you're being entirely too hard on yourself. The onus of providing usable
> computing environments is on the information industry. A long rant for
> another time and another place...
>
> Are you able to boot the machine to a command line? If so, do that, and
> let's see about getting your video drivers working. (I haven't used
> ubuntu on a machine with nvidia hardware yet, but I will soon, and I had
> nvidia drivers working great in gentoo)

Yeah, I can get a command line, but I've been away from Linux for over three
years and I've forgotten so much I don't have a lot of self-confidence. I'll
probably just screw it up worse. That is why I wanted to reinstall from my
CD-ROM. Maybe I can just burn another copy from my archived iso. It is still
on my XP setup. I can't imagine why anything would be wrong with the CD-ROM
that I used in the first place though.

Hang in there!

Appreciate the words of encouragement. The little playing around with Linux
and Unix I've done over the years, I have really loved it. I just wish I
could learn enough to get it to work. LOL. I started messing around with the
command line in the early 90's when I used an Atari ST as a T-100 terminal
to access the VAX at the local college, and then used telnet to access a
command line on a remote NeXT LAN. I never got to like VMS, but I just loved
the way the NeXT variety of Unix would always do what I told it as long as I
told it in the right syntax. Switching to Windows 95 in 1995 was a real let
down. But I had to do it because when the private ISPs started up locally, I
lost my academic access because I was no longer a student, and the local
college got much more picky about letting unaffiliated members of the local
community use their network.

--
Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs, jredelfs at gmail.com