reportbug: TypeError after sending report

Marvin Renich mrvn at
Wed Nov 16 15:31:49 UTC 2005

Package: reportbug
Version: 3.5ubuntu5
Severity: minor

After successfully sending a bug report, but before returning to the
shell, reportbug gives the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/reportbug", line 1656, in ?
  File "/usr/bin/reportbug", line 818, in main
  File "/usr/bin/reportbug", line 1647, in main
    smtphost, options.smtpuser, options.smtppasswd, options.paranoid)
  File "/usr/share/reportbug/", line 415, in
    (sysinfo['email'] % 'n'), (sysinfo['email'] % '999999'))
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

I was running reportbug for the first time (for this user at machine), and
answered NO to "Do you have a MTA?" and gave the name of another machine
on my LAN for the SMTP server.  Note that the TLD of my smtphost below
is local-only, and only resolves within my LAN.

-- Package-specific info:
** /home/mrvn/.reportbugrc:
reportbug_version "3.5ubuntu5"
mode advanced
ui text
realname "Marvin Renich"
email "mrvn at"
smtphost "mail.wdw"

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.11-sulley.1
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages reportbug depends on:
ii  python2.4                     2.4.1-0    An interactive high-level object-o

-- no debconf information