My soundcard has vanished! How do I reinstall?

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Wed Nov 16 15:42:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 20:30 +0000, neil woolford wrote:
> Very mysterious.  I was playing music while working all day yesterday,
> today I treated my computer to a new desk, now no soundcard is detected.
>

> It could just be a hardware fault, I suppose.  I'll dig an old stereo
> card out to try next.

Yes, it does appear to be hardware.  The Soundblaster Live 5.1 that I've
been happily using for a few months doesn't always get configured at
boot time.  The old two channel card reinstalled shows up every time.
So I guess I'm looking for another 5.1 pci soundcard.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  It's for music and DVD movie playback
rather than games or midi.  I'll try to find another SB Live! unless
anyone has better suggestions.

Neil

PS One 'quirk' is that I'd like to leave the old two channel card in for
Voip (GnomeMeeting) purposes.  It doesn't seem to be a problem having
two soundcards, apart from having to check that apps know which one to
use.  I'd appreciate hearing of any 'gotchas' with this approach...