My soundcard has vanished! How do I reinstall?

neil woolford lists at neilwoolford.plus.com
Tue Nov 15 20:30:11 UTC 2005

Very mysterious.  I was playing music while working all day yesterday,
today I treated my computer to a new desk, now no soundcard is detected.

So I *have* moved the computer and plugged and unplugged the audio
leads.  The amplifier and speakers still work (finger on input plug
test).  My Soundblaster Live 5.1 card is still physically there, but on
startup of Ubuntu the volume control applet is shown as muted.  If you
attempt to unmute you get an error message that no volume control
elements or devices were found.  System->Preferences->Sound shows no
(default) soundcard.

I've removed and reseated the card just in case it had become dislodged
when I moved the machine and plugged and unplugged the cables, but this
has made no difference.  It appeared to still be properly fitted anyway.

It could just be a hardware fault, I suppose.  I'll dig an old stereo
card out to try next.

In the meantime, is there any configuration anywhere that I should check
or redo?  I'm on 5.10 Breezy.

Neil