How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 15 19:46:50 UTC 2005

Zach wrote:

> Assuming its an NT4 style domain, you'll need to use samba to do this,
> specifically winbind.

I know we've been almost here before, but you definitely don't need winbind
just to allow your Samba to connect to domain shares.  To become a genuine
part of the domain, I guess you would, but I do this from a machine that is
firewalled off from the domain (because I don't know enough about Samba to
be sure I don't do something bad).

> On 11/15/05, Martynas Brijunas <mbrijun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> is there any way to make my ubuntu a part of WinNT domain so I don't
>> have to keep typing in passwords every time i want to open a network
>> share?

In Kubuntu, you'd go to the control center, "Internet & Network", "Local
Network browsing" and simply enter your windows domain user name, as
DOMAIN\USER, and password. Then all attempts to mount a Windows share use
this.  I'm sure there must be something similar in Gnome.

--
derek