MPlayer being Choppy

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Nov 14 20:39:56 UTC 2005

Wade,

This all looks fine, except for that one DMA part.  It's unrelated to your
problems though, so don't try to fix that now.  Do one thing at a time :)

On Monday 14 November 2005 18:25, Wade Smart wrote:
> [ hint ] DMA is disabled for your DVD interface.
>          This will probably result in a serious performance hit when
>          playing DVDs. You can issue the command

I haven't actually used mozilla-mplayer much myself (I'm a KDE type), but if
it has settings to use SDL for audio output and frameskipping (aka
framedropping), you could try those.  Make sure nothing else is trying to use
the video hardware or the sound system at the same time -- running pkill esd
and pkill arts from a terminal before playing might help.  It's worth
checking too, if there are known driver problems with your sound card or
video card.

Again, do one at a time, and at least you'll eliminate possibilities or get
closer to the source of the problem.

Good luck :)

--
Lee Braiden