Monitoring temperature and fanspeed graphically in Ubuntu

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at
Mon Nov 14 02:01:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:35:23 +0200
Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at> wrote:

> think it would be good to have a way for not-so-skilled users to monitor
> system health and perhaps get an early warning when their system is
> running too hot. Or have I missed a way to do this graphically in
> Ubuntu?

It can be done - I had it working (more or less) with Warty, using gkrellm as a graphical display- but setting it up was not trivial IMO.

I agree that a simple way to get this working and an easy monitoring GUI would be a great thing to have.

I used the instructions here:

but I was flying blind, and have no idea if this is the "correct" method for doing it. I did notice that the temperature monitoring seemed not to work after following these instructions, although the fan monitor seemed OK, but whather that was an issue with my particukar hardware, an error on my part , or something odd in the "howto" I don't know.

Linux User #343161