Please Help, I'm begging you: new Powerbook install problem 5.10

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 12:25:30 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Peter Lieverdink <ubuntu at cafuego.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 22:53 -0800, Steve Calvin wrote:
> > LOL.
> >
> > I currently have a Powerbook 1.67mhz, 15in., 'Hi-Res', the newest PB.
> > Before that I had a 1.25mhz, 15in. PB. The differences are minimal,
> > but the new PB uses DDR2 SDRAM and the 'superdrive' does dual layer
> > DVD burning.
> >
> > I had Hoary and Breezy running fine on the older PB.
> >
> > I am trying to install Breezy off a downloaded disk image that I
> > burned. The new PB starts up from this disk fine, and then the Ubuntu
> > installer starts, you know the rest...
> >
> > Actually, I have my HD all Mac OS, I was going to see if the
> > installer would let me install into freespace. (yeah, probably dumb).
> > Barring that I would reformat into a partition scheme for both Mac
> > and Ubuntu, install Mac, then Ubuntu.
>
> I'm told by other Mac users that 'parted' can resize HFS+ partitions
> without problems. That way you could make some new unpartitioned space
> for the installer to use. Mind you, a backup is still a good idea :-)

Beware of resizing the partition. I wasn't even aware that parted
supported resizing of partitions (must've been a new thing b/c when I
last noticed a dicussion on this topic (last year) everyone was
adament that it wasn't possible to resize partitions with OSS).

According to the GNU project's parted website it's only possible to
shrink partitions (don't know if that means you actually keep the
contents of the parition too, provided you've defragmented the drive).

> It should run just fine; but the Airport Extreme isn't supported yet.
> The again, you prolly know that :-) Some people have started on a
> driver, but a useable version is probably still a few months away.

Apparently there's a Gentoo (I think) project which has managed to
co-opt MOL (mac-on-linux) for the purposes of using AE (now, that's a
lot of extra over-head just to get AE working... you're better off
with a USB dongle or PC 802.11g card if you don't have *that* many CPU
cycles to spare).

Eric.