Newbie

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Sun Nov 13 07:25:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 06:41 +0000, Sarangan Thuraisingham wrote:
> sithi vinayagam shanmugakani wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Iam Sithi, very fresher to the LINUX world, I some how managed to
> > install UBUNTU 5.10 (really impressive) in VM workstation version 5.0
> > running on a windows 2003 server.
> >
> > Please clarify me the following points
> >
> > I have 2 ethernet card - (bridged respectively for the VM purpose) one
> > for the ADSL connection and the other for the LAN connection
> >
> > Every configuration for both the ethernet cards are done and are working
> > fine (thanks to the detailed configuration provided on the WIKI)
> >
> > The problem is i could able to ping all the website address in the
> > terminal window and even on the browser window (i.e, instead of typing
> > www.google.co.in, i got to give the ip address of the web)
> >
> > To attend this problem i tried installing "resolvconf" which has not
> > installed defaultly. I could not work out install this. Please help me
> > in this regard
> >
> > for your information, i had given the ip-address in the repositories
> > (software sources dialogue box) in the synaptec package manager, but it
> > reaches the given source and failed with a file not found error.
> >
> > Please help in this regard
> > sithi

> > You can never expect where to find that special person. Maybe here?
> > http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/
> > http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/bm05/bm_msn_tagoffline.htm
> >

> Hmmm, when you ping, do you ping with a computer name or IP? Also, I
> think resolvconf is just the framework(someone correct me if I am
> wrong), for storing DNS info. Tools like ifupdown, DHCP, ... update this
> file. Other software like Name resolving libraries, use them. I haven't
> installed resolvconf and my internet still works. But, then again I am
> not using VM.
>
> Is your network connections setup properly? In a terminal, when you run
> 'ifconfig' command, whats the output? Also what info do you have in
> '/etc/resolv.cof'. You can use this command to see the contents of the
> file -> 'cat /etc/resolv.cof'. Do you use an external router or PPOE modem?

Resolv.conf need two things

<shame-less copy of some information>

Configuring Name Server Lookups-- resolv.conf
When configuring the resolver library to use the BIND name service for
host lookups, you also have to tell it which name servers to use. There
is a separate file for this, called resolv.conf. If this file does not
exist or is empty, the resolver assumes the name server is on your local
host.

If you run a name server on your local host, you have to set it up
separately, as will be explained in the following section. If your are
on a local network and have the opportunity to use an existing
nameserver, this should always be preferred.

The most important option in resolv.conf is nameserver, which gives the
IP-address of a name server to use. If you specify several name servers
by giving the nameserver option several times, they are tried in the
order given. You should therefore put the most reliable server first.
Currently, up to three name servers are supported.

If no nameserver option is given, the resolver attempts to connect to
the name server on the local host.

Two other options, domain and search deal with default domains that are
tacked onto a hostname if BIND fails to resolve it with the first query.
The search option specifies a list of domain names to be tried. The list
items are separated by spaces or tabs.

If no search option is given, a default search list is constructed from
the local domain name by using the domain name itself, plus all parent
domains up to the root. The local domain name may be given using the
domain statement; if none is given, the resolver obtains it through the
getdomainname(2) system call.

If this sounds confusing to you, consider this sample resolv.conf file
for the Virtual Brewery:

           # /etc/resolv.conf
           # Our domain
           domain         vbrew.com
           #
           # We use vlager as central nameserver:
           nameserver     191.72.1.1

When resolving the name vale, the resolver would look up vale, and
failing this, vale.vbrew.com, and vale.com.

The domian name should be your isp or your domain..

namesever should be the gateway to isp or domain gateway

HTH

Vram