Newbie

Sarangan Thuraisingham sarangan.thuraisingham at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 06:41:34 UTC 2005

sithi vinayagam shanmugakani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Iam Sithi, very fresher to the LINUX world, I some how managed to
> install UBUNTU 5.10 (really impressive) in VM workstation version 5.0
> running on a windows 2003 server.
>
> Please clarify me the following points
>
> I have 2 ethernet card - (bridged respectively for the VM purpose) one
> for the ADSL connection and the other for the LAN connection
>
> Every configuration for both the ethernet cards are done and are working
> fine (thanks to the detailed configuration provided on the WIKI)
>
> The problem is i could able to ping all the website address in the
> terminal window and even on the browser window (i.e, instead of typing
> www.google.co.in, i got to give the ip address of the web)
>
> To attend this problem i tried installing "resolvconf" which has not
> installed defaultly. I could not work out install this. Please help me
> in this regard
>
> for your information, i had given the ip-address in the repositories
> (software sources dialogue box) in the synaptec package manager, but it
> reaches the given source and failed with a file not found error.
>
> Please help in this regard
> sithi

> You can never expect where to find that special person. Maybe here?
> http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/
> http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/bm05/bm_msn_tagoffline.htm

Hmmm, when you ping, do you ping with a computer name or IP? Also, I
think resolvconf is just the framework(someone correct me if I am
wrong), for storing DNS info. Tools like ifupdown, DHCP, ... update this
file. Other software like Name resolving libraries, use them. I haven't
installed resolvconf and my internet still works. But, then again I am
not using VM.

Is your network connections setup properly? In a terminal, when you run
'ifconfig' command, whats the output? Also what info do you have in
'/etc/resolv.cof'. You can use this command to see the contents of the
file -> 'cat /etc/resolv.cof'. Do you use an external router or PPOE modem?

--
Regards,

    Tux is the Best
   Next is the Rest