Breezy problems

squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 11 09:16:47 UTC 2005

Hi all,
is there any way I could down grade back to Hoary?
I am on dialup and would hope to avoid spending
hours re-downloading software I have installed.
For me, Breezy looks better in some instances,
but just doesn't seem to work as well.

Have installed w32codecs, and totem-xine will play
wmv files with sound, but mpg's have problems.
This afternoon Firefox opened 18 copies at the same time,
had to restart Gnome to close them.
If the modem(external) is switched on before booting, (setup with pppconfig)
it starts to dial up during boot.
Apt-get works fine, but Synaptic freezes at times, can't repeat
the problem by doing anything particular, but often when I do a search.
Have spent 2 hours this afternoon feeding hundreds of sheets through
HP laserjet 1100, with 1 character on each page, have tried different ports
and drivers. Switching off the printer and removing it from the list
doesnt solve the problem, it continues as soon as it's switched on.
Re-booting is the only way to stop it.

All worked fine with Hoary, recognised the printer when I set it up.
Sound worked fine with Totem-xine, no Synaptic or modem problems.
Computer is Athlon XP1700, 256 meg ram.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Take Care
Winton