localhost:631 (was Re: A different printing problem, Breezy and Epson C66)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 10 07:13:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:37:06 +0000
Colin Murphy <lists at spudulike.me.uk> wrote:

> Now, in my Suse days, I would localhost:631 and play with the server from
> there.  I am denied this option, which seems to be the final one to me, in
> Ubuntu.

1)Adding the user "cupsys" to the group "shadow" will allow you to access http://localhost:631

The Ubuntu devs seem to be (perhaps pedantically?) concerned with security issues ... Or perhaps I've simply missed the point. (The latter is historically more likely )   ;-)

2)After doing the above *shocking*, and doubtless *highly irresponsible* deed, you need to restart cups thus:

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

3)After trying this, I found the interface asks me for a user name and password, which, fortunately, turned out to be my user and password (as for sudo).

I guess if you are worried about nasty people fiddling with your system, you can reverse the above procedure to remove the offending cupsys user from the shadow group... when you have done what needs doing.

Personally I can't really fathom this particular piece of prohibition, but what would I know?

Peter ( smiling mischievously)
--

Linux User #343161