[OT] Hardware Decision

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 19:54:01 UTC 2005

The xeon has more cache and a higher clock rate iirc, but a SOHO server
doesn't need a whole lot in the way of processor power, so I'd say don't
bother.

Also I'd recommend going with a middle of the road Athlon 64 instead of
a P4.  A gig of ram should be good, two is better.  The main thing to
consider for a server is the disk subsystem.  You probably want a mix of
reliability and speed, so I'd recommend getting 3 disks and building a
raid-5.  You can get some nice 10,000 rpm 74 gig sata drives from
western digital these days for ~$160.  Three of those in a raid-5 will
give you 148 gigs of usable space that is fast and can withstand a drive
failure without data loss.