Video driver fails on Intel 810 card

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 9 17:30:15 UTC 2005

Tony Arnold wrote:

> I have a Dell Latitude C.400 laptop which has an Intel 810 grpahics card
> installed. I've upgraded  to Breezy recently and have hit a problem with
> the video driver.
>
> If I switch from Gnome to console mode with control-alt-F1, and then try
> to go back to Gnome with Alt-F7, the machine hangs and screen goes blank
> and starts changing colours slowly. It's pretty, but annoying!
>
> The only way out seems to be hit the power switch and reboot.
>
> I've tried searching archives and the WEB for a solution, but have not
> found anything relevant yet.
>
> So, has anyone else seen the same problem?

Not quite, but I've seen similar things on two Inspirons, at least once not
even using Ubuntu or Xorg.  Are you sure the machine's hung?  If you "hit"
the power switch, it isn't.  If you have to hold the switch down for 5
seconds, it might be.

> If so, is there a workaround or should I just submit a bug report?

Try ctrl-alt-f1 to get back to your console (just trust that it happens) and
type "vbetool post", to see if it helps.

--
derek