Xen support without reinventing the wheel

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed Nov 9 04:54:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 10:35:18PM -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >>enough people have been asking about xen that I was wondering if people
> >>were ready to move forward and commit time and energy to solving the
> >>problems, the very shortcomings you refer to.
> >
> >Shouldn't it be enough that *you* are ready to move forward, etc?
>
> nice shot.  what I've worked on in the past month:
>
> Camram (alternative antispam system)
> IPCop (embedded system flash production)
> Akasha (framework for simplifying small to medium scale web development)
>
> do you think I have room for another project?

<shrug>  Perhaps.  Your time commitments are your own.

http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

> and I have yet yet any pointers to documentation on how to build .deb
> files for applications built on Perl or Python.  Because then I would
> package camram and Akasha.

See above.

> >>maybe my question would better be worded; how are people willing to fund
> >>making xen work?  Money or effort?
> >
> >How about a different question: are you only going to work on this if there
> >are other people involved?  If the answer is 'no', then don't bother
> >surveying the landscape, just start digging.  Others will join you or not,
> >as they see fit, but you'll be solving your problems, so there's no hassle.
>
> first I have to pay the mortgage.  Given that I'm self-employed, checks
> don't show up unless I knock on doors.  So first things first.  Second,
> come my ugly stepchildren (camram, Akasha, IPCop).  Then I'll think
> about adopting a new child.  If you look back you'll find my offer was
> to share the knowledge I had about xen based systems.  I was hoping to
> leverage somebody else's knowledge about deb packages etc. exchange for
> leveraging my knowledge.

You're going to hold your bug reports to ransom in exchange for somebody who
will teach you how to package stuff?  I suspect that isn't exactly what you
meant...

If you don't have the personal ability to fix everything up in Xen, don't
stress.  Instead, report the bugs, either in Launchpad/Malone or
bugs.debian.org.  Then somebody else (or yourself, when you've got more
time/knowhow) can fix them as resources are available.

- Matt