Wireless works too well!

Harry Wert hwert at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 8 22:45:33 UTC 2005

After much experimenting and testing, I am finally able to use the
Linksys WUSB54G with Breezy - thanks to ndiswrapper.  However I have one
unexpected problem and another which I am just beginning to troubleshoot.
First the problem:  Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
"bruce". To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and
select "linksys".  This works fine EXCEPT, I drop my linksys connection
randomly and resync back onto "bruce" ( he is on channel 1).  At the
moment neither "bruce" or "linksys" are using encryption until I get
this figured out.  By the way, my wireless signal from my router
"linksys" is many time stronger than the signal I get from my neighbor
"bruce" - for whatever value that may have for this discussion.  Has
anyone else experienced a problem such as this?  I have struck out using
the various search engines and Ubunti wiki.  Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.  Is there anyway to issue a "deny bruce" command anywhere?

Harry Wert
Physicist