Wireless works too well!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 9 13:59:31 UTC 2005

Harry Wert wrote:

> After much experimenting and testing, I am finally able to use the
> Linksys WUSB54G with Breezy - thanks to ndiswrapper.  However I have one
> unexpected problem and another which I am just beginning to troubleshoot.
> First the problem:  Even though I issue a "iwconfig wlan0 essid linksys
> channel 6", my computer locks on to my neighbor across the street named
> "bruce".

Didn't you ask this same question on alt.internet.wireless?  If it wasn't
you, that's the place to go anyway, as it has recently been asked and
answered.

> To log onto my router "linksys" I need to run wlassistant and

Why do you have a router named "linksys"?  Give it a real essid.  Then stop
giving it a channel number.  Channel numbers are for ad-hoc mode - you
should just be trying to access it via essid, and since half the APs in the
world are shipped with the name "linksys", you're as likely to find a
strong signal through your window as the weaker one that's going through
the walls and floor of your house.
--
derek