Another Unofficial UbuntuGuide?

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Nov 8 13:57:17 UTC 2005

PLEASE SEE MY INLINE COMMENTS

[Timothy A. Holmes]
No comment here

> 2. Basic help first - why do I need to go through 3 menus in order to
> reach the official guide?

[Timothy A. Holmes]
YES YES YES and AGAIN YES

> 3. What the heck do you think is interesting in a one page long
version
> list on top of the guide???? People need help, not information how
this
> guide developed. So please put that on the end of the guide - it is
the
> last thing somebody looking for information wants to see.

[Timothy A. Holmes]

This nearly ran me off from the official documentation -- I understand
that version info is important -- but not to the average user -- make a
link to it at the top of the page, but put it on a different page

> 4. Please consider changing the format of the guide - the Unofficial
> guide is (well, was) so extremely helpful because it is so easy to
> read, all on one glance. The Wiki is not easy to read. Please simply
> copy the appearance of the Unofficial guide, the newbies will thank
you
> so much.

[Timothy A. Holmes]
Again -- YES

> 5. Please finally add information on how to get a decent screen
refresh
> rate on systems where the screen has not been autodetected. Feel free
> copy my how-to or modify it, but put it in the hardware section or the
> tipps&tricks section of the guide.
>

> http://vale.homelinux.net/wordpress/?p=32
>

> Thank you very much for your time and consideration - please keep in
> mind that Ubuntu bug #1 can only be fixed if we take care of the
> newbies. You are writing the guide FOR THEM! Try to think like them,
> and if you cant because you forgot how it was when you started Linux,
> ask one of your mates that still use that evil software :-)
>

> The current Wiki and all the FAQs and guides and fridges and stuff are
> great ideas but are overwhelming for newbies. It is maybe too much.
the
> Unofficial Guide kept it easy, kept it simple. That is what helps
most.

[Timothy A. Holmes]

I would strongly recommend a drill down approach -- if a simple solution
is presented first, with links to more in depth information